Energy Efficiency and Saving Money in the Commercial HVAC Industry
Ensuring the comfort of a facility is a full-time job. When an HVAC system stops working, you know you need to act fast to remedy the situation. Not only does the facility manager need to answer each service call, but they must also be proactive with repairs while staying within their budget. Throughout the process of solving problems, it’s imperative to save money while utilizing the best energy-efficient products and equipment possible.
The HVAC landscape offers many opportunities to make a facility manager’s job easier. First, today’s technology has created a plethora of parts and equipment that reduces energy consumption needs. You reduce utility bills by installing energy-efficient furnaces, boilers, air conditioners, and mini splits. It’s worthwhile to increase the interior air quality for buildings and businesses requiring more ventilation as mandated by regulations.
Working with a quality HVAC company like TRI-AIR Systems gives you the best opportunity to keep occupants happier. Our service team is highly trained in all aspects of the heating and air conditioning industry. We work with facility managers to provide the best HVAC solutions for their buildings and campuses.
How to Get the Best Efficiency and Save Money from Commercial HVAC Units
Where do you start in providing quality indoor air that makes your space more comfortable? Begin by understanding the general requirements for energy efficiency standards and regulations. These are put in place so you can determine what equipment will save your company on its energy bills. When considering equipment, a mini split system is one of the best options for commercial areas that don’t need ductwork but are still highly energy-efficient. Save the wear and tear on your existing system and increase ventilation with a make-up air (MUA) unit. Retrofitting is another way to bring your unit into the 21st century and save energy and money. TRI-AIR Systems can help you with all aspects of upgrading and updating your aging HVAC system.
Overview of Commercial Energy Efficiency Standards and Regulations in Ontario and Canada
The heating and air conditioning products that go into your building must meet specific energy efficiency standards. These standards ensure the best use of resources while still providing a high level of comfort for those using the premises. In short, all regulated products must meet specific federal energy efficiency standards. Each province has its own regulations as well. Products under the Energy Efficiency Regulations include:
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment: Commercial refrigerators, refrigerator-freezers, freezers, ice-makers, walk-in freezers, and walk-in cooler components
- Heating and Air-Conditioning Equipment: Boilers, furnaces, energy-recovery and heat-recovery ventilators, heat pumps, air conditioners
- Industrial/Commercial Equipment: Chillers, clean water pumps, commercial pre-rinse spray valve, dry-type transformers, motors
Canadian dealers are responsible for ensuring that each model of a regulated product meets the energy efficiency standard. At TRI-AIR Systems, we take this duty seriously as we review each piece of equipment and label it appropriately. We understand the importance of having the most energy-efficient mini-split systems, furnaces, air conditioners, and more, for our customers. It saves you time and money.
In fact, one of the cooling systems we suggest for commercial areas is a mini-split system. This cooling unit is designed to bring the most comfort while not overtaxing the electrical grid.
Commercial Mini-Split Systems
More and more businesses are finding the advantages of an energy-efficient mini split system worth the investment. You will find them in warehouses, offices, garages, restaurants, and retail shops. They provide zoned climate control, so they work well when you want to cool or heat a specific room, for example, in a break room.
Advantages of a ductless mini split system air conditioner include:
- High-Energy Efficiency: When you want to offer effective climate control without increased utility costs, these units will offer both.
- Pin-Pointed Comfort: A mini split is manufactured to manage only the rooms or “zones” you choose to be covered. They come in single-zone and multi-zone configurations to give you more flexibility.
- Quiet Operation: The compressor is outside of the building, so those within do not have to be bothered by extra noise. Mini split units create much less noise than other air conditioner units.
- No Ductwork: You don’t have to worry about running new ductwork when you install a mini split. They will not lose efficiency because of dirty ducts either.
There are many reasons it makes sense to install a mini split, such as enclosing a portion of a larger industrial space or bringing a new addition to your facility. However, a mini split isn’t for every business space. It isn’t always recommended to replace a standard system for a mini split. However, you can get fresh, clean air from traditional central heating and air systems. Keep reading.
Fresh Air in Your Commercial Building – Breathe Easier, for Less!
The technology available today offers many options for heating, cooling, and improving air quality without increasing wear and tear on an existing system. One way you can do this is through better ventilation using a make-up air (MUA) unit. These are excellent for organizations that must meet increased ventilation requirements, such as hospitals and waste water treatment plants. They are designed to bring in fresh, outdoor air to replenish the air your system has been pushing through. Advantages of upgrading your existing HVAC system with an MUA unit include:
- A Reduction in Your Heating and Air Energy Use: Your building’s climate control units work hard each day of the year to provide warm and cold air. Because an MUA filters the incoming air, your HVAC system doesn’t have to struggle as hard.
- An Increase in Air Quality: MUAs reduce the contaminants coming through the air ducts. This feature is beneficial for those industries required by regulation to have increased ventilation. Thus, all who live and work within enjoy cleaner air.
- More Comfortable Indoor Environment Overall: Those working and residing within buildings want a comfortable environment. Make-up air units help accomplish the desired indoor environment.
While MUAs enhance the air quality of a building, they won’t work well with an old system in need of an upgrade. Instead, you will see increased energy costs with little or no difference in comfort. That is one indication that a retrofit may be an excellent choice.
Commercial and Industrial HVAC Retrofits
It is not always feasible or cost-effective to replace a heating and air conditioning system. Even well-maintained units will run their course and need to be replaced. Depending on the brand and style of equipment, you can expect 15-30 years of usefulness. After that, retrofitting may be a wise and cost-effective choice to improve performance without a new system. Indications that it may be time to consider a retrofit include:
- An HVAC system over ten years old
- Increased energy bills with no logical explanation
- Complaints from occupants about lack of comfort
- Escalating repair costs
- Problem of decreased air quality
If any of these indicators appear, it may be time to look into retrofitting your system by integrating new components into existing HVAC networks. A qualified technician from TRI-AIR Systems can handle your project while navigating the factors affecting commercial HVAC equipment service and repairs.
Factors Affecting Commercial HVAC Equipment Service and Repairs
The impact on the HVAC industry looks similar to other industries. The business landscape looks different than a few years ago. Different factors have affected overall pricing of goods and services. Each company strives to keep overall costs low for its customers while still making a profit. For example, here are some factors that affect how much a customer pays for parts and services:
- Rising Operating Costs: In the HVAC arena, companies not only have to buy parts and materials to make repairs and installations, but there are the costs of fuel and labour. All these costs have increased over the past couple of years.
- Supply Chain Issues: Obtaining motherboards and other components for an HVAC system is taking longer as international trade slowly increases. Many factories that make these components haven’t returned to full capacity, and the companies that have, are wading through a backlog of orders.
- Inventory Shortfalls: As suppliers do their best to get caught up on back orders, inventory shortfalls are still an everyday occurrence.
- Foreign Affairs: What happens on the international level, such as the war in Ukraine, weighs in on the costs of goods, as well.
To combat some of these issues, scheduled maintenance and service can ensure timely ordering of new and replacement parts and equipment. With regular maintenance of your system, you not only save time, but you also save money and headaches later. Doing nothing will be costly, and it doesn’t only mean putting off repair work. It means much more.
Commercial HVAC Tips for Facility Managers
If you are a facility manager, you know that you have much to do daily. You have tenants in need of cooler or warmer air. The air quality weighs heavily on employees’ minds. If you do nothing, you leave things as status quo—don’t fix what isn’t broken. However, today’s climate is one of creating better cultures with healthier working environments. That responsibility falls on you as the facility manager. Luckily for you, you have many avenues to make this happen. A couple worth considering include:
- Better Ventilation: You can provide better indoor air quality through proper filtration and exhausted air. Both will remove contaminants that threaten the health of workers.
- Combat Summer Temperatures: Reduce heat stress in factories and warehouses by using industrial intake and exhaust fans.
Since your job is never done, why not work with a reliable commercial heating and cooling company? The right company will give you the support you need to keep your buildings at the right temperature without escalating energy bills.
Choose an Experienced HVAC Company Dedicated to Your Comfort
Ensuring your facility is running as energy efficient as possible is easy when you rely on the experienced technicians at TRI-AIR Systems. We strive to provide the highest quality service and develop long-standing relationships. We offer a full-service, one-stop-shop for your HVAC installation, retrofitting, and repair work needs. Our Proactive Maintenance Agreement ensures you have consistent maintenance and ample time for new parts to arrive for those major repairs. You can depend on us for rapid response times 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the inevitable emergency.
For more than four decades, we have serviced the Markham and Greater Toronto Area. We pride ourselves on outstanding heating and air conditioning workmanship. Trust us for quality service and excellent response times on all your HVAC needs. Our knowledgeable, friendly technicians arrive at your location ready to assess the situation and give you the best options. Experience the difference from your first phone call through our visit. It starts with one phone call today!
For expert advice on the energy-efficient options for your facility, call 905-470-2424. You can also contact us online to schedule a consultation, order a new HVAC system or discuss a commercial HVAC maintenance plan.